Introduction to Bluetooth
Bluetooth was originally developed by eminent Swedish mobile maker Ericcson in the year 1994. It is a kind of wireless communication protocol that is used for exchanging data over short distances. Bluetooth has used short wavelength, UHF radio waves from 2.400 to 2.485 GHz and to operate in all types of devices & edifice personal area networks.
Bluetooth technology is the appropriate way to communicate with other Bluetooth enabled devices. Bluetooth has been administered by Bluetooth Special Interest Group which has more than 30,000 member and having companies in diverse areas of telecommunication, computing, networking, consumer electronics. Bluetooth is purposive to bolster up diverse open-ended applications incorporating data such as audio, graphics and even videos.
Following are Bluetooth Technology capabilities that can provide benefits to consumers
• Bluetooth technology has eliminated the use of cables, easily connect computers to various devices such as printers, keyboards, and mouse.
• It is easy to make calls from wireless headset, attached remotely to cell phones.
• With Bluetooth advanced automation, there is easy connectivity of MP3 players wirelessly to other machines for download music.
Bluetooth has the capability to connect up to eight devices’. Many users can communicate with each other in a small network called a piconet. To make each link secure it is encoded and protected against eavesdropping and interference.
Bluetooth has worked proficiently in three major applications areas using short-range wireless connectivity:
• Bluetooth connectivity has permitted the facility of real-time voice and data transmissions by delivering effortless wireless connection of portable and stationary communication devices.
• A Bluetooth device has replaced the need of cables for connectivity. The devices that are connected through Bluetooth operate instantaneously even when devices are not within line of sight. The range of connectivity is approximately 10m, but it can be extended to 100 m by using the optional amplifier.
• Bluetooth devices are based on ad-hoc networking. A device that is connected to another device has easily established the instant connection as soon as it comes into range.
Numerous usage Models are defined in Bluetooth Profile Documents:
The number of usage models defines each profile documents in Bluetooth. Usage models are basically a set of protocols that implement Bluetooth based application particularly. Individual protocols define each profile and support a particular usage model.
Following are the highest priority usage models of Bluetooth devices:
• File transfer protocol has supported many functions such as transfer of directories, files, documents, images. It is easily browsed folders on remote devices.
• Internet bridge protocol has the capability to connect PC with mobile phones or cordless modem to support dial-up networking and fax capabilities. Stack protocol is used for transferring of data and for dial-up networking AT commands are availed to control the mobile phone or modem. Stack protocol has directly operated the fax software for fax transfer.
• This usage model has the capacity to access a LAN. Once it is connected, devices have directly connected to the LAN.
• IRDA protocol that is inbuilt in usage models has provided a client-server capability for transferring updated PIM information from one device to another. Usage Model has the ability to connect device to device synchronization through PIM (Personal Information Management System) such as phone book, calendar, and message.
• Headset in this usage model can act as remote devices audio input and output.
• Usage model has accurately acted as the cordless phone or three in one phone handset has easily connected with other telephones, voice base stations.
Advantages of Bluetooth Devices:
• A Bluetooth device has easily connected mobile phones, laptops without the need for cables. It is built with the simple design. Devices have easy connectivity with networking through matched LAN (Local Area Network).
• It has easily covered the range of up to 100 meters. Bluetooth devices are easily integrated with small battery powered devices. In short, the applications with Bluetooth are available in the market with unlimited features. Its processing is low due to overhead protocol.
Disadvantages of Bluetooth Devices:
• Bluetooth devices have performed best for short-range wireless technology.
• High-frequency Bluetooth devices make it much more open to interception and attack.
In summary, Bluetooth devices allow users to share their resources from one place to another easily. This system allows people to share images, text, audio files without any aid of the central server. It has easily identified the mobile devices that are shared in the mobile social network.